Salim Jorge Saud Neto
T +55 21 3558-0510
M +55 21 99736-1900
Salim Saud Neto is recognized as one of the leading professionals in the field with 20 years of experience in large law firms throughout the Americas, including Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, New York, and Houston. Salim has worked in major corruption and compliance cases, including some of the largest corruption scandals in History. Mr. Saud has engaged in the negotiation of leniency agreements, being responsible for the first – and so far the only – global settlement involving Brazilian and US authorities, conducted internal investigations, assisted clients in connection with Congressional Investigations, developed and implemented compliance programs and advised clients on general compliance matters. Mr. Saud litigation and dispute resolution experience includes acting in different arbitrations and litigation cases and he has advised in complex multijurisdictional corporate and M&A transactions.
Salim Saud Neto has also assisted companies in the context of data protection law, in particular for compliance with the European Union GDPR and Brazilian LGPD.
Salim Saud is also a lecturer on several topics relating to compliance, including some of the main seminars and conferences in Brazil and around the world. He also leads and is a professor of the compliance LLM program of the prestigious university Fundação Getúlio Vargas (FGV) and teaches Arbitration and Compliance at the post-graduate courses of the Brazilian Bar, Rio de Janeiro Section.
Previously, Salim was a partner and the leader of the anticorruption practice of Mayer Brown LLP in Latin America, and an associate with Squire Sanders & Dempsey LLP (now Squire Patton Bogs).
Columbia University, LLM; Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
Parker School Certificate of Achievement in International and Comparative Law, Director Columbia Latin America Business and Law Association
Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, Bachelor of Law (JD equivalent)
Yale University (Law Seminar, 1999)
Brazil, Rio de Janeiro
Brazil, São Paulo
US District Court for the Southern District of New York
Portuguese, English, French, Spanish
- Lead Brazilian counsel in the negotiation of the TechnipFMC global settlement with the CGU, AGU and MPF and US Authorities
- Successfully assisted a multinational food industry corporation in an administrative proceeding under the Brazilian Anti-Corruption Law
- Assisted international Oil Company on the anticorruption aspects of acquiring assets from Petrobras amid the Lava Jato scandal.
- Assisted international Power Company on the anticorruption aspects of acquiring assets from companies involved in corruption scandals.
- Assisted several companies in connection with police investigations
- Conducted internal investigations for several companies.in different fields, namely: oil & gas, oil & gas services, tobacco, consumer products, infrastructure, ports and airports, construction, power.
- Conducted risk assessment, development and improvement of the compliance program of a tobacco sector conglomerate that was recognized as a Pro-Ethics Company
- Conducted risk assessment and development of the international money laundering compliance and prevention program for an international luxury trade group in Brazil
- Conducted a compliance and anti-money laundering training at the two largest development banks in Brazil.
- Currently conducting the risk assessment and development of the compliance program of a multinational medical industry.
- Currently working in leniency process with the competent authorities in Brazil and abroad.
- Risk assessment and development of compliance programs for companies from different sectors.
- Helped a financial institution respond to demands from a Parliamentary Inquiry Committees (CPI).
- Internal training in Anti-Corruption, Compliance and Government relations for several clients
- Helps foreign investors and oil and gas industry companies regarding to investigations, processes and procedures of the Car Wash operation
- Helped several companies regarding compliance concerns related to contracts and distribution of tickets for the 2012 and 2016 Olympic Games.
- Helped companies in connection with the distribution of tickets to FIFA World Cup games in 2014 in Brazil
- Due diligence of FCPA procedures regarding to a social investment and its requirements, imposed by the Laws of Angola.
- Due diligence of acquisition related to M & A of educational institutions
- Due diligence of acquisition related to M & A of oil and gas service companies
- Risk assessment and development of the compliance program of a construction conglomerate
- Assistance to multinational company in adapting its compliance program to the requirements of Brazilian Law
- Analyzed and revised the compliance program of an infrastructure company
- In-house training for the sales force of a multinational open-source software company
- Assistance to a worldwide fuel distributor in the compliance due diligence of potential partners in Brazil.
- Due diligence of agents for companies acting in Brazil and Angola
- Acquisition due diligence in connection with M&A of health clinics, educational institutions and oil & gas service companies
- Assistance to clients in connection with Petrobras investigations proceeding
- Analysis of exposure to anti-bribery liability in connection with investments in Brazil for multinational company with joint venture partners involved in Operation Car Wash.
- Professor, Head of the Anticorruption Compliance Program at Getúlio Vargas University (FGV)
- Member of the Brazilian Bar (Rio de Janeiro) Committee on Arbitration
- Lecturer, Compliance Program of the Post Graduate Course on M&A, Brazilian Bar (Rio de Janeiro), since 2017
- Lecturer, Post Graduate Course on Arbitration, Brazilian Bar (Rio de Janeiro), 2009 to 2016
- Lecturer, FCPA Conference, Washington DC, November 2017, November 2018, December 2019, December 2020
- Lecturer, Brazil Anticorruption Summit, São Paulo, Brazil, May 2018, May 2019, September 2020
- Lecturer, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th International Compliance Congress and Regulatory Summit, São Paulo, 2015 – 2019
- Lecturer, FCPA and the Life Sciences Industry, New York, June 2018
- Lecturer, Andean FCPA Conference, Bogota, Colombia, November 2016
- Lecturer, 7th Global Forum on Anti-Corruption Compliance in High Risks Markets, Washington DC, July 2016
- Lecturer, Ethisphere’s Latin America Ethics Summit, Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo, 2015 and 2016
- Lecturer, Spotlight on Latin America: Focus on Mexican Energy Reform and Brazilian Anti-Corruption Implications, New York, NY, October 2015
- Lecturer, Workshop on Internal Investigations, LEC, Rio de Janeiro, November 2015
- Lecturer, The Brazilian Clean Companies Act, Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo, March 2014
- Lecturer on US Corporate Law and Law & Economics, University of California – Davis LLM, 2008
- Lecturer, United Nations High-Level Meeting for the development of the Oil & Gas Industry, Doha, 2007