T +55 21 3558-0520
M +55 21 99545-1900
Bernardo Viana advises domestic and foreign companies in Anti-Corruption & Compliance matters. Bernardo has advised multinational companies on addressing local and global compliance challenges and has been working closely with companies investigated in major investigations in Brazil, including Operation Car Wash. Bernardo has also advised numerous companies in connection with due diligences and internal investigations, as well as the preparation and localization of compliance programs.
Mr. Viana is a Professor of the Compliance Program of Fundação Getúlio Vargas (FGV) University.
Bernardo has advised in M&A transactions of internet companies and on concession contracts, production sharing agreements, consortium agreements, joint operating agreements (JOA), joint bidding agreements (JBA), farm-out agreements, assignment agreements, unitization agreements and unitization operating agreements (UOA).
Previously, Bernardo was an associate at Mayer Brown LLP, working primarily in litigation and corporate law in general and a trainee at Cavalcante, Zouain, Risk & Advogados Associados a specialized firm in litigation and maritime law.
Columbia University, LLM
Universidade Federal do Espirito Santo (UFES), Bachelor of Law (JD equivalent)
Professor, Anticorruption Compliance Program at Getúlio Vargas University (FGV)
Brazil, Rio de Janeiro
Brazil, Espírito Santo
Portuguese, English, Spanish
- Conducted risk assessment, development and improvement of the compliance program of a tobacco sector conglomerate that was recognized as a Pro-Ethics Company.
- Conducted risk assessment and development of the international money laundering compliance and prevention program for an international luxury trade group in Brazil.
- Conducted compliance and anti-money laundering training at the two largest development banks in Brazil.
- Currently conducting the risk assessment and development of the compliance program of a multinational medical industry.
- Currently working in leniency process with the competent authorities in Brazil and abroad.
- Currently assisting a multinational food industry corporation in an administrative proceeding under the Anti-Corruption Law.
- Risk assessment and development of compliance programs for companies from different sectors.
- Helped a financial institution respond to demands from a Parliamentary Inquiry Committees (CPI).
- Due diligence on the acquisition of a block of oil exploration.
- Internal training in Anti-Corruption, Compliance and Government relations for several clients.
- Helps foreign investors and oil and gas industry companies regarding to investigations, processes and procedures of the Car Wash operation.
- Helped several companies regarding compliance concerns related to contracts and distribution of tickets for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
- Helped a company sponsoring the 2012 Olympic Games in London in connection with the distribution of tickets for the Olympic events.
- Helped companies in connection with the distribution of tickets to FIFA World Cup games in 2014 in Brazil.
- Due diligence of FCPA procedures regarding to a social investment and its requirements, imposed by the Law of Angola.
- Due diligence of employees for companies operating in Brazil and Angola.
- Due diligence of acquisition related to M & A of health clinics.
- Due diligence of acquisition related to M & A of oil and gas service companies.
- Currently performing compliance due diligence in connection with Petrobras investments on behalf of a Major Energy and Oil & Gas Company.
- Currently assisting multinational corporation in the food industry in administrative proceeding under the Clean Companies Act.
- Currently performing the risk assessment and development of the compliance program of a construction conglomerate.
- Currently assisting multinational corporation in conducting preventive internal investigations in the context of Operation Car Wash.
- Currently assisting multinational company in adapting its compliance program to the requirements of Brazilian Law.
- Representing a company in the Oil & Gas industry in the negotiation of Petrobras’ newly implemented compliance standards and requirements.
- In-house training in Anti-Corruption, Compliance & Government Relations for the management of a multinational French corporation.
- Representation of a Multinational Corporation in connection with the assessment of suppliers in Cuba.
- Due diligence of acquisition related to M & A of educational institutions.
- Represented a São Paulo based Internet Company in Series B Equity Funding.
- Represented GuiaBolso, a Brazil based internet company, in Series C Equity Funding.
- Represented a Colombian E&P company in the evaluation of several oil and gas assets in Brazil and West Africa.
- Represented a major investment fund in a complete evaluation on regulatory and contractual aspects of the assets of a national E&P company.
- Represented a major service company in drafting a local content regulation proposal to ANP for specific cases of facilities/pipelines sharing.
- Represented Thailand-based PTT Exploration and Production Public Company Limited (PTTEP) in the US $220 million acquisition of Shell’s 20% participating interest in the BM-ES-23 Concession (Espírito Santo Basin) in deepwater offshore in Brazil.
- Represented BNP Paribas in a US $150 million reserve-based lending facility for Central Resources do Brasil Produção de Petróleo Ltda., an oil and gas producing and operating company that owns the rights to a majority of production from two important onshore fields in Brazil.
- Represented a large U.S. service company in a US $300 million negotiation of claims with Petrobras.
- Represented a giant Chinese NOC in a US $700 million negotiation of claims with Petrobras.
- Worked in multi-jurisdictional leniency process with competent authorities in Brazil and abroad.